Chernichko Joseph Ivanovich
Date of birth: 28.11.1948
- 1966–1971 – Odesa I. I. Mechnikov National University.
- 1976–1980 – postgraduate study at the Department of Zoology of the Vertebrate Biological Faculty of the Odesa I. I. Mechnikov National University.
- 1984 – the candidate's dissertation “Recurvirostra avosetta in the southwest of the USSR and the biological principles of its protection” at the scientific council of the Institute of Zoology and Physiology of the National Academy of Sciences of Moldova.
- 2011 – the doctoral dissertation "The value of the Azov-Black Sea coast of Ukraine in supporting the structure of transcontinental migratory routes of waders in Eastern Europe"(National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine).
- 1971–1974 – the Antiplaque station of the Ministry of Health of the USSR.
- From 1974–1987 – was a senior laboratory assistant and a teacher of the Biological Faculty of the Odesa University.
- Since 1987, a senior researcher at the Schmalhausen Institute of Zoology of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (head of the interdepartmental structure of the Bohdan Khmelnytskyi Melitopol State Pedagogical University: the Azov-Black Sea Ornithological Station, and the Azov-Black Sea Wetlands Monitoring Laboratory).
- 1993 – elected as a correspondent member of the Ukrainian Ecological Academy of Sciences
- 2006 – received the title of the Senior Researcher
Scientific interests – population and evolutionary bird ecology, migration, nature conservation, management and reproduction of wetlands.
- Since 1993 he has been a member of the National Commission on Rare Species at the Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources of Ukraine.
- Since 1997 – an Acting Deputy Director of the Research Institute of biodiversity of terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems at the Melitopol State Pedagogical University.
Languages of communication. Ukrainian, Hungarian, Russian, German.
Publications. The author and co-author of over 200 scientific works, 6 of which are monographs.
Head, or co-executor of more than 45 projects, the main of which are the following:
- Development of the ecological network in Zaporizhzhya Region (2015).
- Inventory of valuable natural areas in the Ukrainian part of the Danube Delta Region under the project Consolidation of the nature protected areas’ network for biodiversity protection and sustainable development in the Danube Delta and Lower Prut river region – PAN Nature, funded by the European Union. (2015)
- Elaboration of the management plan of the RLP "Izmail Islands" under the project Consolidation of the nature protected areas’ network for biodiversity protection and sustainable development in the Danube Delta and Lower Prut river region – PAN Nature, funded by the European Union (2015).
- the enviroGRIDS project "Building Capacity for a Black Sea Catchment Observation and Assessment System Supporting Sustainable Development" under the 7th Framework Programme of the European Union (2009-2013).
- Elaboration of the scientific and practical program of ecological improvement of the river Molochnaya, restoration of its hydrological regime, improvement, and conservation of biodiversity (2013).
- "Climate proofing the Danube Delta through integrated land and water management" with the financial support of the European Commission through the thematic program on the environment and sustainable management of natural resources, including energy (ENRTP).
- Towards sustainable waterbirds hunting in the Azov-Black Sea wetlands, Ukraine (under the BBI-Matra grant, 2008-2010).
- Research on species diversity of animals on Zmiinyi Island for the conservation of transit and indigenous species (status, conservation, management) (2008).
- "Technical Assistance for Lower Dniester River Basin Management Planning" (TACIS, 2006).
- "Estimation of biodiversity of migratory waterfowls in wetlands along the Corridor and identification of important areas of seasonal feeding distribution and routes of bird movements" – the part of GEF project "The support of biodiversity of Azov-Black sea Ecological Corridor" (2004).
- "Development of a management-plan of Molochnyi liman (Zaporizhzhia region, Ukraine)" – the part of GEF project "The support of biodiversity of Azov-Black sea Ecological Corridor" (2004).
- Improvement of opportunities for sustainable management of the wetlands of the Azov-Black Sea region of Ukraine and prevention of negative climate change (DEFRA, 2004).
- WWF project "Vision for the Danube delta, Ukraine" in collaboration with DCP and WWF Netherlands (2001-2003).
Training of personnel: he has prepared 3 candidates of science and supervises graduate students.
Scientific and organizational work:
- From 1989 to 1992 - organized and participated in two Arctic expeditions to Northern Siberia to study peculiarities of migration of wader populations along the Afro-Eurasian Flyway
- The editor-in-chief of annual transactions of the Azov-Black Sea Ornithological Station "Branta", a member of the editorial board of the journal "Vestnik Zoologii" (Zoological Herald), "Newsletter of the Askania Nova Biosphere Reserve”, and of the Russian journal "Strepet".
- Since 2002 - the author and head of the Regional Ornithological Monitoring Programme (ROM), which results are periodically published in relevant ROM Bulletins (editor-in-chief).
- Under the Wetlands International Programme, ASME is coordinating monitoring activities for migratory waterbirds within 7 Black Sea countries.
- Is elected as a correspondent member of the Ukrainian Environmental Academy of Sciences, is a member of many non-governmental ornithological organizations, including international (WSG).
- In 2015 - elected as a vice-president of the International Menzbir Ornithological Society