Transactions
of the Azov-Black Sea Ornithological Station

Branta Cover Language of the article: Russian Cite: Ardamatskaya, T. B., Chernichko, I. I. (2002). Successful breeding of White-tailed Plover in Kherson region. Branta: Transactions of the Azov-Black Sea Ornithological Station, 5, 129-131 Views: 675 Branta copyright Branta license

Branta Issues > Issue №5 (2002)

Branta: Transactions of the Azov-Black Sea Ornithological Station, 129-131

Successful breeding of White-tailed Plover in Kherson region

T.B.Ardamatskaya, I.I.Chernichko

The breeding of White-tailed Plover (Vanellochettusia leucura) was for the first time registered in 1997 (2-5 pairs) in the Crimean near Sivash area, but it was not successful (Garmash, 1998). Since 1998 records of White-tailed Plover were regular in Shpindiyar lowering, located in Chaplinka district of Kherson region. Bird number was gradually increasing from single individuals during the first years to 7-10 birds by 2001. In 2002 there nested 4 pairs. Their broods with nestlings of 4-5 days age were registered 12 June 2002. In a total 9 nestlings with 5 adult White-tailed Plovers were observed. The main threat for breeding birds is grazing of cattle and herdsmen’s dogs. So it is necessary to organize protection of the breeding area. This is the first registered fact of successful breeding of White-tailed Plover in the south of Ukraine.

Read the paper in a PDF file