Branta: Transactions of the Azov-Black Sea Ornithological Station, 64-74
Breeding birds of Husynyi Island (Kakhovske Reservoir)
V. A. Busel
Surveys on Husynyi Island, a part of the Velyki and Mali Kuchhury archipelago, were carried out in 2007-2014. There were recorded 42 breeding species of birds and 8 species which breeding was not proved. Five breeding habitats were revealed, among them the most populated are open areas with psammophytic vegetation and floodplain forest stands. Shallows provide feeding sites for a number of species, above all for chicks of Ciconiiformes and Pelicaniformes. Major negative factors affecting the numbers and phenology of terrestrial breeding birds are sharp daily fluctuations of water level due to the activity of the Kakhovska Hydropower Station.
Read the paper in a PDF file
- Brauner, A. A. (1894). Notes on birds of Kherson Gubernia. Notes of Novorossia Naturalist Society, 19(1), 39–93. [in Russian]
- Brauner, A.A. (1897). Short identification guide on the game animals of the steppe zone of Russia: Part 1. Birds. Kherson: House of Dneptopetrovsk Dept.of Soc. of Game Anim. and Rational Hunting. [in Russian]
- Brauner, A.A. (1915). On the breeding of birds in floodplains. School Excursions and School Museum, (3), 14–15. [in Russian]
- Danilovich, A. P. (1939). Breeding of the Goldeneye and Smew in the Lower Dnieper. Priroda (“Nature” Journal), (4), 128. [in Russian]
- Danilovich, A. P. (1941). Notes on birds of Lower Dnieper. Nature and Agriculture, 8, 463–467. [in Russian]
- Kistiakivskyi, O. B. (1957). Fauna of birds in the region of Kakhovske Reservoir. Transactions of Zoological Museum, (26), 20–48.]
- Siokhin, V.D., Chernichko, I.I., Ardamatskaya, T.B., Lysenko, V.I Kostin, S.Yu., Grinchenko, A.B., ... Iskova, N.I. (1988). Colonial hydrophilic birds of South Ukraine. Charadriiformes. Kyiv: “Naukova Dumka” Press. [in Russian]
- Kostiushin, V. A., Chernichko, I. I., & Busel, V. A. (2014). Spring-summer bird population of Bilenko-Rozumovski Plavni (Kakhovske Reservoir, Zaporizhzhia Region). Bulletin of Zaporizhzhia National University, (1), 59–81. [in Russian]
- Lisetskyi A.S. (1959). Influence of the Lower Dniester floodplain forest cutting on the avifauna structure of the Kamenskyi Pod planted forests. Transactions of Scientific-Research Institute of Biology and Biological Faculty of Kharkiv State University, 28, 115–122. [in Russian]
- Orlov P.P. (1941). Notes on birds of Velykyi Luh. Scientific Notes of Cherkasy Pedagogical University, 1, 103–116. [in Ukrainian]
- Pachossky, I. K. (1911). On the avifauna of Kherson Gubernia (province). Ornithological Bulletin, (3–4), 212. [in Russian]
- Petrov, V. S. (1954). On the avifauna of the Lower Dnieper Floodplain. Transactions of Scientific-Research Institute of Biology and Biological Faculty of Kharkiv State University, 20, 105–131. [in Russian]
- Neubaur, F. (1951). Beiträge zur Vogelwelt der Süd-Ukraine. Jahrbuch Des Nassauischen Vareins Für Naturkunde, 89, 46–102.
- Busel, V.A. (2014). A New Breeding Site of Spoonbill, Platalea leucorodia (Aves, Ciconiiformes) Nesting in Lower Reaches of the Dnipro (“Velikiy Lug” National Park, Ukraine). Vestnik zoologii, 48(2), 189–190.