Transactions
of the Azov-Black Sea Ornithological Station

Branta Cover Language of the article: Russian Cite: Yu.Lokhman, V. , Kh, M. . Emtyl, Donets, I. I. (2008). Cormorant in the Western Pre-Caucasus region: distribution, number dynamics, present status. Branta: Transactions of the Azov-Black Sea Ornithological Station, 11, 169-180 Keywords: Cormorant, distribution, number dynamics, present status, Western Pre-Caucasus region. Views: 720 Branta copyright Branta license

Branta Issues > Issue №11 (2008)

Branta: Transactions of the Azov-Black Sea Ornithological Station, 169-180

Cormorant in the Western Pre-Caucasus region: distribution, number dynamics, present status

Yu.V. Lokhman, M.Kh. Emtyl, I.I. Donets

Western Pre-Caucasus region is one of the main breeding areas of the Cormorant Phalacrocorax carbo in southern Russia. Population dynamics and distribution have been investigated in 1989-2008. Recently the total trend of population growth was observed. The main breeding populations are known at the Kiziltash and Yeysk Limans, Khanskoe Lake and in the Kuban Delta. The total number of Cormorants is about 16000 pairs in the region. The population increase is about 15000-18000 pairs. Limits of number fluctuations and trends in the Cormorant population changes have been determined.

Read the paper in a PDF file